Try this innovative take on a family dinner, a whole chicken covered in dough and seasoning then baked in the oven! A big thank you to Troia for providing us with this unique recipe, perfect for your next gathering.
- 1 whole chicken (1kg)
- 20 g fresh mixed herbs
- 10 g fresh garlic
- 2 g black pepper seeds
- 2000 g sea salt
- 200 g yellow basmati rice, cooked
- 150 g grilled vegetables
- 50 ml mushroom sauce
- 50 g carrot
- 25 g Italian lemon
- 2 g bay leaf
- 20 g celery
- 10 ml olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the flour, salt, and thyme in a bowl. Add the water and egg and stir until well combined.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Shape into a ball and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Rinse chicken cavity under cold water, pat dry inside and out with paper towel. Place in a small roasting pan.
- Place the bay leaves, rosemary, half the lemon slices and half the thyme sprigs in the chicken cavity. Lift the skin under the breast. Place the garlic, butter, remaining lemon slices and remaining thyme under the skin.
- Loosely tie the legs together with kitchen string. Brush with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface large enough to fit over the chicken. Place over the chicken and seal around the edge.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- To serve, use a large sharp knife to break open the crust. Place over yellow rice.