Dancing is a feel-good activity that everybody loves doing – even if they don’t like to admit it. The amazing thing is that dancing isn’t just a fun way to release your energy, it also has spectacular health benefits physically and mentally.
So, what’s the catch? There is none! Let’s explore the surprising benefits of dancing and how many calories each dance burns.
By Mariam Elhamy
Among other things, dancing can help you lose weight, stay flexible, reduce stress, make friends, here’s why it’s great for your mental state
- It boosts your mood, memory and increases energy
- Reduces stress and diminishes depression
- It motivates greater self-confidence and self-esteem resulting in better social skills
Now, for some physical benefits:
- Improves the condition of your heart and lungs
- Increases muscular strength, endurance, balance, flexibility, stamina and motor fitness
- Improves blood flow and boosts your immune system
- Improves quality of sleep, builds stronger bones and helps you lose weight
- Reduces risk for certain chronic conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease
Here are the types of dances that burn the most calories
Calories burned in 1 hour:
- Ballet: 350 – 430 calories
- Zumba: 430 calories
- Hip hop: 465 calories
- Pole dancing: 250 – 350 calories
- Salsa: 400 calories
- Cha Cha: 400 calories
- Samba: 500 calories
- Tap: 315 calories
You can try dancing on your own to your favorite tunes, follow Youtube dance channels or you can opt for a more structured format by joining a dance class or group session at your gym or local dance studio. Here are 19 Dance Studios in Cairo to Get You Moving!