Strawberries are everybody’s favorite and not only are they tasty and available everywhere, but they are also packed with vitamins, fibers and antioxidants which protect your heart, boost immunity, increase HDL (good) cholesterol, lower your blood pressure, and guard against cancer.
It saddens us that strawberry season is almost over so before they are out of season try one or 6 of these strawberry recipes and enjoy!
By Mariam Elhamy
Strawberry Banana Bread
Soft and moist banana bread always wins, try it with sweet strawberries and a cup of hot tea and you’ll thank us later!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1½ cups strawberries chopped & tossed in 1 tablespoon of flour
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Spray two loaf pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined. Add mashed bananas and mix.
- Sift all dry ingredients then slowly add to banana mixture and mix until flour is just combined. Do not over-mix! Fold in strawberries and pour batter into loaf pans and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 170°C and bake for 30 minutes until edges are slightly brown or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from loaf pans.
Rice Pudding with Strawberries and Cream
Nothing beats a classic rice pudding but this little strawberry twist will have the whole family licking the bowl.
- 240g short-grain rice
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 strip pared orange zest
- 1.25L (5 cups) milk, plus extra 1 cup (250ml)
- Thickened cream and freeze-dried strawberries (optional)
- 250g strawberries, hulled, plus extra halved strawberries to serve
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- For the strawberry sauce, place all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a bowl.
- Place rice in a sieve and rinse until water runs clear. Transfer rice to a saucepan over low heat with sugar, vanilla seeds and pod, cinnamon, orange zest and milk. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring regularly, for 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Slowly begin to add extra milk, stirring constantly, stopping once pudding is a creamy consistency.
- Scatter with extra fresh and freeze-dried strawberries and serve warm with strawberry sauce and thickened cream.
This will be your ultimate go-to snack when you’re craving something chocolatey, nutty and full of flavor.
- 450g raw unsalted cashews
- 250g firm coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 300g strawberries (hulled)
- 2 tsp finely grated beetroot
- 400g almonds and walnuts (or any preferred nuts)
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1 cup (100g) cacao powder
- 400g Medjool dates, pitted
- Soak cashews in a bowl of water overnight then drain the next day. Line a shallow pan with baking paper, allowing 5cm to overhang.
- For the chocolate layer, mix all ingredients and 1/3 cup (80ml) water in a food processor until finely chopped. Press half the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Chill until needed. Place remaining mixture between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out to a rectangle. Chill until needed.
- Add cashews to food processor and mix for 2-3 minutes or until a smooth paste. Add oil, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice, and strawberries. Mix until smooth. Pour over base and smooth the surface. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Lightly brush strawberry layer with water. Cover with remaining chocolate layer. Chill overnight or until firm. The next day, remove from fridge and cut into bars.
Strawberry and Basil Icecream
Light on ingredients but rich and creamy in flavor, this simple ice-cream recipe is perfect on its own or as a side to a warm dessert.
- 3 cups basil leaves (about 1/2 bunch)
- 3 cups (750ml) thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 250g strawberries, hulled
- A few drops of pink food coloring (optional)
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- Waffle ice cream cones
- Place the basil and 1½ cups (375ml) cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then remove and set aside for 30 minutes to infuse. Chill for 2 hours. Strain through a sieve, pressing down to extract as much flavor as possible.
- Blend the vanilla, strawberries and food coloring until smooth. Place in the bowl of a stand mixer with condensed milk and remaining 1½ cups (375ml) cream. Whisk on medium-high speed for 10 minutes or until soft peaks form. Pour into a 2L (8 cups) container and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- Scoop ice cream into cones to serve.
Chicken and Strawberry Cobb Salad
Refreshing, sweet and crunchy, this grilled chicken and strawberry cobb salad recipe can be great for a lunch that is filled with nutrients and more importantly, deliciousness.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1½ Honey
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, torn
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 112 grams crumbled feta
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- Whisk together olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, and honey. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place romaine in a large bowl and top with chicken, strawberries, feta, peas, avocado, and red onion. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with dressing. Toss and serve immediately.
Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins
Strawberry muffins are already a great hit, add in coffee and you get baked bliss. Perfect with a cup of coffee.
For the muffins:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsps baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups strawberries, diced small
For the crumble:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter-chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 12 cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or coat with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, flour and butter
- Stir with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly and set in the fridge
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk, beat until well combined
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, beat on low speed until just mixed then gently fold in half of the strawberries
- Fill muffin liners ¾ full with batter, top with remaining strawberries and then sprinkle crumble on the tops of the muffins
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
Ever tried mixing hibiscus with strawberries? The result is a refreshing and cooling sweet sensation that you’ll be obsessed with.
- 2 tablespoons dried hibiscus flowers or 6 hibiscus tea bags
- 1 sprig basil plus leaves for garnish
- 450g strawberries, hulled, quartered, plus 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries for garnish
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Bring 1½ cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in hibiscus and basil sprig. Remove from heat, cover, and steep for 20 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve then cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Blend strawberries until finely puréed. Transfer to a bowl; add tea, honey or syrup, and lime juice. Add more syrup and lime juice, if desired.
- Pour strawberry mixture into a metal pan and freeze for about 2 hours. Using a fork, scrape mixture to break frozen portions into tiny pieces. Freeze for 30 minutes; scrape again. Repeat until granita resembles fluffy shaved ice, about 4 hours.
- Divide among bowls. Garnish with basil leaves and diced strawberries.
Strawberry and Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake
If your 2 favorite desserts are brownies and cheesecake then you’re in for a treat! This strawberry cheesecake with a chocolate brownie base recipe will have you going back for seconds.
- 300g brownies, roughly broken
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1/2 titanium-strength gelatine leaf
- 200ml thickened cream
- 500g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (35g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 x 250g strawberries, hulled, halved
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper. Place brownies in a food processor until crushed to fine crumbs. Melt and stir butter and honey in a saucepan, then pour into the food processor and pulse to combine. Press the brownie mixture into the lined loaf pan then chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Soak gelatine in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes.
- Place 100ml cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to just below boiling point then remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine and stir gelatine into cream until smooth. Strain and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat softened cream cheese and icing sugar in an electric mixer for 5 minutes until smooth. Add the gelatine mixture and remaining 100ml cream and beat until combined. Pour into the pan over the chocolate brownie base and return to the fridge and chill overnight to set.
- Place strawberries and caster sugar in a pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes until the strawberries are just tender and syrup is thick. Allow to cool, then cover and chill overnight.
- Slice the cheesecake into wedges and serve with strawberries and syrup
Roasted Strawberry Trifles with Lemon Cream
Trifles redefined, these roasted strawberry trifles are the next best thing you’ll have. Dive into strawberry goodness and lemon cream.
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 5 tbsps unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granola
- 900g strawberries, hulled, halved if large
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Torn mint and basil leaves
- Bring cream, 1 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt to a gentle simmer in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a medium bowl and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto surface (this will help prevent a skin from forming).
- Chill lemon cream until it has set up to a pudding-like consistency, at least 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Combine flour, butter, brown sugar, basil, vanilla, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Using your fingers, work the mixture until it comes together in small clumps. Scatter crumble on a large parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and slightly firm, 30–35 minutes. Let cool and break into smaller pieces. Mix in granola.
- Increase oven temperature to 220°C. Toss strawberries, salt, and remaining ¼ cup sugar on a rimmed baking sheet to combine. Roast strawberries until they are juicy but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble trifles by spooning alternating layers of lemon cream, roasted strawberries, and granola crumble into glasses or jars. Top off with some mint and basil leaves.
Strawberry Nutella Turnovers
When strawberry and Nutella come hand in hand you know you’re in for a treat, these babies are served warm and oozing and there’s nothing better than that.
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed (1 sheet equals 4 large turnovers)
- 1/2 cup Nutella or hazelnut spread
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 egg beaten
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold your thawed puff pastry dough. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into four equal squares.
- Place about 2 tbsp of Nutella into the corner of each square of puff pastry. Sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of chopped strawberries over the Nutella.
- Fold the pastry diagonally and crimp the edges with a fork. Brush tops and edges with egg wash. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and chopped strawberries.
Strawberry Avocado Pico De Gallo
A refreshing combination of sweetness and tanginess and a tasty side to any meal.