4 tablespoons butter room temperature
1 tablespoon onion chopped finely
1/2 cup flour divided
1 cup milk room temperature
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon dry cooking wine
1 pound ground cooked chicken
2 eggs beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan and sauté with onion on medium-low heat.
- Slowly, whisk in milk, 1/3 cup of flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Constantly stir until a thick sauce forms.
- Add the cooking wine and ground cooked chicken to the sauce. Mix it all together slowly. Let it simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Let the filling rest at room temperature then refrigerate for 2 hours. The mixture has to harden in order to form into logs and coat evenly. If this step is skipped, it will be very hard to form logs, coat with breading, and fry. This is an important step.
- Remove filling from refrigerator. Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture and form a log 3 inches long and about a 3/4 inch thick. Repeat until you have all the croquettes done.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and set aside. In another bowl, mix the remaining flour and bread crumbs.
- Dip each croquette in egg and then cover in bread crumbs. Let them rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before frying.
- In a large frying pan, add enough vegetable oil to cover the croquettes completely. Make sure the oil is at 190o Fry each one until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Enjoy!