Whether it’s your neighbor or your crush, smiling is contagious and you could be making someone’s day just by smiling at them. For International Day of Happiness, we want to make sure that everyone is having a good day so here is how to make someone smile in a few ways.
Spread the happiness. Spread the smiles!
By Mariam Elhamy
1. Give your colleague at work a genuine compliment. Anything simple like “Your hair looks great today” or “have you lost weight?” can make someone’s whole week.
2. Call someone you haven’t talked to in a while. Even if they haven’t reached out to you or have forgotten to call you on your birthday, don’t take it as an excuse not to call them. The phone works both ways, right? Or even better yet, ask them to go out for coffee.
“When you forgive, you heal your own anger and hurt and are able to let love lead again. It’s like spring cleaning for your heart.” ―
Marci Shimoff is the author of the self-help book: Happy for No Reason
3. Tell someone you love them out of the blue. You don’t have to do it verbally it could either be through sending flowers, a small gift or a nice handwritten letter.
4. Give generous tips and not just for International Day of Happiness, be generous.
5. Offer some water to the people who work outdoors. A security guard, a police officer, a valet or the delivery guy. Even if they decline, it will still mean a lot.
6. Help people by holding the door for them, helping them carry heavy stuff or letting them use the bathroom stall first.
7. Ask someone at work how they’ve really been doing. You probably spend at least 60-70% of your day at work, small talk just won’t cut it. When you share they’ll start sharing too.
“Happiness is not just a mood — it’s a work ethic.” – Shawn Achor
Shawn Anchor wrote The Happiness Advantage and many other books about happiness, business and success
8. When someone makes a stupid mistake and they obviously feel guilty about it, laugh about it first so that they laugh too and feel less awkward.
9. Hug people. Pat them on the back. Caress their shoulder. Pull their cheeks.
10. Say a random thank you to the people close to you, when they ask why tell them it’s because you appreciate their presence in your life.
Again, smiling is contagious so sharing a smile with a stranger can really go a long way. But don’t forget to also smile to your mom, best friend or significant other.