Remember coming home after a long day at school, and being welcomed by the wafting smell of freshly golden-fried escalope with a side of spaghetti red-sauce? You can thank your mom this Mother’s Day for the tireless hours of cooking she did all these years by making her your own take on escalope, Veal Parmesan!
Breading and Frying
- 2 cups fine plain fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pound veal cutlets pounded to an 1/8-inch thickness
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
Step 1: Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and some pepper. Put flour, eggs, and breadcrumb mixture in 3 separate dishes. Dredge cutlets in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Dredge in breadcrumbs to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Heat oil in large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. (Oil is ready when a breadcrumb sizzles when dropped in.) Working in batches, fry cutlets until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
Spaghetti with Red Sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- One kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- 480 g spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, then roughly chop them.
- Cook the oil, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring, until the oil heats up and the garlic just starts to turn golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and water to the skillet. Add the basil, raise the heat to medium-high and simmer until the sauce thickens, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the spaghetti to the boiling water, and cook according to package directions; strain well.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the sauce, and stir to coat.
- Serve with Parmesan or basil leaves for garnish, if desired.
Browse more recipes here
More about Crave on Instagram
Wondering where to dine this weekend? Check out our reviews for the best restaurants in Cairo in this link