We often resort to flowers, special cards, presents, and lunches dedicated to the most precious female figure in our lives on Mother’s Day. This year, we recommend a heartwarming Apple Pie recipe to give back some of the comfort, love and gratitude the mother figure has always given us. Recipe serves 6-8.
150 g flour
2 tablespoons sugar
100 g butter
2 tablespoons water
4-5 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
Zest of ½ lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
1 egg, whisked lightly
2 teaspoon extra sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat an oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 22 cm pie tin.
- Make the pastry. Place flour, sugar and butter in a food processor. Whizz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and 1 tablespoon water. Whizz to form the dough. If needed add the remaining tablespoon of water.
- Roll out ¾ of the dough on a lightly floured cutting board, then line pie tin.
- For the filling: place apple, lemon, sugar and pinenuts in a large bowl and toss to combine well.
- Layer the apples in the pie shell in a circular shape. Use them all, as they will shrink when they cook. Make a lattice with the remaining pastry and carefully place over the apples. Trim the edges. Brush the top with egg.
- Bake for 50 minutes until golden and the apple is softened. Stick a knife in to test. Remove and cool slightly. When cooled, sprinkle the castor sugar over top.
- Serve with clotted cream or ice cream.