Want to try a new twist on a classic risotto? Chef Carlo at Sofitel Gezirah’s Casa Mia has shared one of his quintessentially Italian delights with us this month! Recipe serves 4, enjoy with the family or a group of lucky friends.
80 g butter (diced, very cold)
1 tablespoon white onion (finely minced)
360 g rice (Carnaroli, Vialone or Arborio)
16 pieces of green asparagus (tips and stalks)
16 shrimp tails medium (chopped)
100 g Pecorino Sardo Cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Peel the asparagus, slice the edible part, keep 8 tips on the side (for the garnish), and roughly chop the stalk.
- In a stockpot prepare a light stock with 1 and 1/2 litres of water, the asparagus stalks and the leftover from the peel. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Using a glass blender, process the stock and strain to remove the solids. Keep it warm. Gently melt 20 g of butter with the minced onions in a thick-bottomed casserole. When the onion is translucent add the rice at once and toss around until well-toasted (2 to3 minutes).
- Start adding the stock and a generous pinch of salt. Keep adding stock in small additions until completely absorbed by the rice and keep stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile season the asparagus tips for the garnish along with 4 shrimp tails and briefly sauté with extra-virgin olive oil. Check seasoning and keep warm.
- When the rice is nearly cooked, add the chopped shrimps and the sliced asparagus tips. When the rice is ready add the remaining butter, the Pecorino cheese and some freshly ground black pepper and keep covered for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir the risotto energetically with a spoon and divide in 4 serving plates. Serve garnished with asparagus tips and shrimp tails.