International Hummus Day is the day we celebrate one of the greatest ingredients we use in many of our recipes. Being a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber, Hummus can be made into a salad, dip, sandwich, wrap, quesadilla or cake! Find some easy recipes for chickpeas to make at home.
By Mariam Elhamy
Chickpea and Apple Salad
Make this classic lunch favorite vegetarian that is refreshing, crunchy and full of flavor, this easy salad recipe is ready in just 20 minutes.
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 green apples, diced
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 400g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ a bunch coriander, chopped
- Lettuce, leaves separated
For the dressing:
- 2 tsps curry paste (any Indian one will work)
- 2 tbsps mango chutney
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Mix all the salad ingredients, except the lettuce leaves (and reserve some coriander for garnishing), and toss with some seasoning.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients until well combined then add.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate and pile the salad on top.
- Finish by sprinkling over the rest of the coriander.
Chickpea Avocado Toast
This simple avocado chickpeas on toast is the perfect breakfast or lunch filled with all the nutrients, energy and flavor that you need to continue your day.
- Chickpeas 400g, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 lemon, ½ juiced, ½ wedged to serve
- 1 large avocado
- 4 small crusty wholemeal or rye bread, thick slices, toasted
- Extra sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Chili paste (Optional)
- Put the chickpeas, sesame oil, lemon juice and some seasoning in a bowl. Use a potato masher to crush everything together until you have a rough paste.
- Spoon the avocado into another bowl and break up with a fork until roughly crushed. Fold the avocado through the chickpeas, then spread over the bread. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and sliced spring onions. Serve with lemon wedges and chili paste if desired.
Hummus Veggie Wrap
Nothing could be easier or more nutritious than a yummy hummus and veggie wrap, every vegetarian’s dream.
- 4 tortillas or Shami bread
- 1 cup hummus
- ½ cucumber
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced into thin slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin slices
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cup mixed salad greens
- 4 tsps hot sauce or sriracha (optional)
- Warm up the tortillas or Shami bread in a microwave for 10 seconds.
- Spread about 4 tablespoons of hummus
- Layer the sliced cucumber, tomato, avocado, bell pepper, and carrot.
- Top with mixed salad leaves and drizzle with sriracha hot sauce.
- Wrap up the tortillas tightly in a burrito shape, cut in the middle, and serve.
Cheese quesadillas are amazing but have you tried replacing cheese with Hummus? For a healthy dairy-free and delicious meal, try these hummus quesadillas.
- One whole-grain tortilla (or regular tortilla)
- ¼ cup hummus
- Spinach sautéed in olive oil
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Kalamata olives
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Additional hummus, hot sauce or pesto (optional, for serving)
- Spread hummus generously over your tortilla. Lightly cover one-half of the tortilla with the fillings. Fold the blank half over to create a half-moon shape.
- Warm a medium skillet over medium heat. Place the folded quesadilla(s) in the pan. Let the bottom sides warm up for a minute or two, then carefully flip. Brush the warm sides lightly with olive oil and let cook in the pan for another minute or two.
- Carefully flip once again, brush the new top side lightly with olive oil, and cook until the bottom is golden and crisp. Cook until both sides are lightly golden and crisp.
- Transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board and use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to slice it into three wedges. Serve immediately. Add some additional hummus on the side, or perhaps some hot sauce or a dab of pesto. (optional)
Spiced Hummus Cake with Vanilla Yogurt Frosting
This moist cake might surprise you with its tahini flavor, but its fun taste will keep you coming back for more. For an extra whimsical twist, try using a different flavor of hummus!