- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 10 cardamom pods
- 8 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 jalapeno, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup whole, peeled, canned tomatoes (with puree), roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Lightly sauté the spices, jalapeno, and onion over a low heat in a heavy bottomed pan. Add water and allow to reduce.
- Add shrimp, cook lightly then add tomato and salt.
- Simmer gently until sauce reduces slightly, then add coconut milk and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Finish off with a sprinkling of chopped coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.