- 1 large cup of chicken broth, plus additional water if required
- 3 large shrimp, de-veined and shelled
- 3 pieces of calamari, cleaned and finely sliced into ribbons.
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbs finely minced onion and fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1-2 tbs vinegar
- 1 tsp soya sauce.
- 1/4 tsp garlic – finely minced
- 1 beaten egg
- Bring the chicken broth to the boil with the sliced calamari and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes. If the liquid reduces too much add more chicken broth and a little water.
- Put ginger and onion in a small sieve, and squeeze to release juice into soup (discard solids).
- Stir in sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and cornstarch with a little of the broth. Add to pot; simmer, stirring, until soup is thickened, about one minute.
- Add egg through a slotted spoon, and stir to form ribbons. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for one minute. Stir in the teaspoon of soya sauce.
- Garnish with sliced spring onion and finely chopped crispy fried garlic.