Ramadan is here, and sometimes thinking of what to cook takes about as much time and effort as the actual task. Crave are helping out this season with a recipe from their new menu: Aubergine Gratin, a dish that will complement your iftar table.
- 2 eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- ½ cup fresh cream
- ½ cup half and half milk
- 3 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 4 to 5 basil leaves
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375o F.
- Place sliced eggplant on a parchment lined baking pan, sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until eggplant is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine fresh cream, half and half and Feta cheese. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Stir in thyme and chives and set aside.
- In 2.5-quart baking dish or gratin dish spread tomato sauce to cover the bottom. Place eggplant slices next. They can slightly overlap each other. Spread tomato sauce once again and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. Scatter 1-2 torn basil leaves over the sauce.
- Continue layering with remaining eggplant, sauce and basil. Finish with pouring over the cream and Feta sauce and sprinkling with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until bubbly and the top is browned. Serve warm.