Weak and frizzy hair can become a common problem with extreme heat, not to mention the struggle some face when trying to gain length and improve growth. We sat down with Mohamed Rateb, hair expert from Blends, to learn more about how to boost hair care and appearance using some all-natural essential oils, and we learned why they are so good for our hair.
CWM: Why is oiling so good for the hair?
MR: There are several reasons! The right oils will nourish the scalp, give a natural shine and softness, prevent breakage and split ends, moisturize dry hair, and stimulate hair growth and potentially delay greying.
What are some of the right oils that benefit your hair?
It all depends on what you are targeting, but here are some common oils and ailments they address. Rosemary and peppermint oil can both relieve dandruff and hair loss, lavender oil increases hair growth, grapefruit oil combats dirty or oily hair, while sandalwood and vanilla oil enhance the overall appearance of your hair and give off a pleasant aroma. Look for any of these oils on the ingredient list of your shampoo or conditioner or create DIY hair treatments at home.
Besides using oils, what other natural ways can boost your hair growth?
Certain foods contain beneficial vitamins, omega 3 oils and proteins that encourage hair growth. Try to up the intake of eggs, lentils, soybeans, salmon, sweet potatoes and spinach in your diet as each individually contribute to healthier and fuller hair. Also pay attention to the health of your scalp and improving blood circulation. A head massage and daily combing helps with ridding your hair of toxins and dead skin cells. Minimizing heat styling and blow-drying will also limit any damage to your scalp and hair. Use an apple cider vinegar rinse to strip away the build up from your regular products without removing the good natural oils.
- Combine one tablespoon of a carrier oil such as jojoba or almond oil with two drops of peppermint oil into the palms of your hands.
- Mix between the palms of your hands, then apply to the roots of your hair and the scalp. Avoid middle or lower portions of your hair, focusing only on the roots of your hair or your scalp.
- Massage the oil over your scalp for 5 minutes then leave the mixture on your head for 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair, but avoid using any conditioner.
- Repeat every three days. You can use your regular conditioner in-between treatments.
* You should feel a slight tingling due to the peppermint – if it bothers you, stop and wash your hair.
Check out Blends full range for good summer hair on social media: @blendsarabia